I just put iNaturalist.org on Ruby Enterprise Edition. Unfortunately, I’m really not seeing any savings in memory consumption, aside from the Passenger ApplicationSpawner taking up a few less MB. Kind of dissapointed.

However, installing REE on my Mac was slightly less trivial than I was led to believe. Suffice it to say the REE installer assumes you have dependent libs in /usr or /usr/local, and if you don’t, there aren’t any flags you can pass in to change that. However, you can set ENV vars, so I was able to get the installer to work like this:

export CC=gcc && export CXX=g++ && ./installer

Basically, the REE installer checks deps by using Ruby to write and compile a C file, but it’s default path to gcc was not the same as the gcc I normally use.

After that, I had to make sure all my gems were in place. I ended up installing rails, Hpricot, and ruby-debug (the latter 2 require compiled C) using REE’s own copy of rubygems, and I made sure the rest of our gems were vendorized. REE’s rubygems is just like normal:

/path/to/ree/bin/gem install rails ruby-debug hpricot

If you run into problems, make sure you’re tailing Apache’s error log and not just the Rails log, b/c that’s where Passenger will moan about its problems.

As I said, memory gains seem non-existent on our Ubuntu production machine, which is weird because I saw a 25% reduction in memory usage on my Macbook.